Thursday, December 11, 2008

Great New Children's Books

I love a good children's book- thank goodness I have two sons that love great books as well! Here are some of my favorite new books- I hope you enjoy them as well!

Dinosaur vs. Bedtime by Bob Shea.


At the beginning of the book, a little dinosaur boldly declares that nothing can stop him. Readers then follow him on some of his big matches: dinosaur vs. leaves, dinosaur vs. a big slide, dinosaur vs. a bowl of spaghetti. Little dinosaur conquers them all, that is, until dinosaur vs. bedtime.

The illustrations are simple, interesting, and enough to keep your little one's attention. My 2 year old thought it was just hilarious to "ROAR" along with the book.

Monkey and Me by Emily Gravett



I first picked up this book because of the simple, yet beautiful illustrations. I was not disappointed when I looked inside. The story is about a little girl who has just been to the zoo. She and her sock monkey act out the type of animals that they have seen that day, including penguins, elephants, and, of course, monkeys. The text is simple, but fun, and the pictures are fantastic. This interactive book is a great read aloud for a young child.

And just in case you haven't had enough of Emily Gravett, who is quickly becoming a Children's Department favorite, check out some of her other books: Wolves, Orange Pear Apple Bear and her newest book, Little Mouse's Big Book of Fears.




Another departmental favorite is Zen Ties by Jon Muth.



This book is a great companion to the original, Zen Ties. Jon Muth introduces us to Stillwater, a giant panda who teaches parables to three young children. The storyline and lessons are beautiful and the artwork is stunning, which leaves us with a wonderful book to read to your children. I will admit that I didn't think my three year old would be interested in this book, but he listened, captivated the whole time. I'm sure your family will enjoy it as much as ours.

1 comment:

Jeana said...

Love, love, love all those books! Thank you for making everyone else aware of them, too. Emily Gravett is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. What a clever author/illustrator!