Saturday, January 3, 2009

Best of the Best

In 1999, the National Education Association made a list of the 100 best books for children and young people. Though there have been lots of great new books released, these classics stand the test of time and make for great reading with you and your child. Here are some of my favorites from the list: (Click on each book for a link to Amazon where you can learn more.)

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats
Corduroy by Don Freeman
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by Jon Scieszka
Are You my Mother by Philip D. Eastman
Caps for Sale by Esphyr Slobodkina
Hatchet by Gary Paulsen
Sarah Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan
The Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid Banks
Number the Stars by Lois Lowry
Matilda by Roald Dahl
Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing by Judy Blume
The Trumpet of the Swan by E.B. White

There are so many more wonderfully delightful children's books out there, which leads me to this question? What is your favorite Children's book?

~Breana- Children's Assistant

2 comments:

Cari RĂ©rat said...

I was just thinking this morning about the Winnie The Pooh books and how much I loved when my dad read them to me. I always got to pick the chapter. It was great times.

Breana said...

I have to many quality memories of children's books. My dad's favorite to read with us was "Fox in Socks." Now that I'm an adult, I think he might have just been impressed at the speed in which he could read that book, because he had a Seuss-ian tongue. But one of my favorites was "Imogene's Antlers." It was a Reading Rainbow book and I absolutely loved it.